Carrot cake is a classic dessert loved by many. It’s moist, flavorful, and has the perfect balance of sweetness and spice.
If you’re looking for a tried-and-true recipe to impress your family and friends, look no further than Edward Delling-Williams’ carrot cake recipe.
In this post, we’ll go over the history of the recipe, its ingredients and instructions, and some tips and tricks for making the perfect cake every time.
History of the Recipe:
Edward Delling-Williams is a pastry chef and the owner of the popular London-based bakery, The Borough Market Bakery. He’s known for his delicious cakes, tarts, and bread, and his carrot cake is one of his most famous creations.
Delling-Williams’ recipe is a twist on the classic carrot cake, with the addition of orange zest and chopped walnuts, giving the cake a bright and nutty flavor.
The recipe has been featured in many food publications, and it’s become a go-to recipe for many home bakers.
For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
Step 3: In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Step 4: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Step 5: Fold in the grated carrots, chopped walnuts, and orange zest.
Step 6: Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans and smooth the tops.
Step 7: Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 8: Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 9: To make the cream cheese frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Step 10: Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Step 11: Once the cakes have cooled, place one cake layer on a cake plate or stand. Spread a layer of cream cheese frosting over the top of the cake. Place the second cake layer on top and spread another layer of frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
Step 12: Garnish the cake with chopped walnuts and orange zest, if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before starting. This will ensure a smooth and even batter. Use a food processor to grate the carrots. This will save you time and ensure that the carrots are evenly grated.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Mix until the ingredients are just combined to prevent a dense and heavy cake.
- If your cakes are domed on top, use a serrated knife to level them before frosting.
- For a smoother frosting, refrigerate the cake for 15-30 minutes after frosting the first layer before adding the second layer of frosting.
Edward Delling-Williams’ carrot cake recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves carrot cake. With its unique blend of spices, orange zest, and chopped walnuts, this cake is sure to impress.
Follow these instructions and tips for the perfect cake every time. Serve it at your next gathering, and watch as your guests rave about the delicious flavors and moist texture. Enjoy!